Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stooping Lower

The other day I received an email from the Utah Replican party. It caused me, once again, to wonder if it is really worth being a member of either party.

The subject of the email was Rep. Matheson, who represents my district in the House as a democrat. I had to shake my head as the email berated Matheson for what they called "flip flopping" on Health Care. Last year he voted against the health care bill despite enormous pressure from his own party. Earlier this year he voted against the repeal of the Health care law. To me, both votes were a refreshing non-partison vote.

Although I have not agreed with Matheson on every issue, I feel at least he is concerned about representing the people who voted him into office instead of his own party or partison wrangling. Some may ask, "why then did he vote against the repeal?" In my opinion he was avoiding partisan politics again. The repeal was merely a political move on behalf of the Republican party or more specifically the tea party movement. No one in their right mind would think that President Obama would sign it or that it would make it through the senate. So why waste time on it? Why not spend time amending the law and making it better.

The end of this email disappointed me even more. According to the email, the Republican party's plan for getting rid of Matheson in the next election is through redistricting. I realize both parties do it, but what happened to just letting the people decide who they want to represent them. Similar underhanded politics forced Bennett out of office this last election. If he would have been allowed to run in the general election, he most likely would have been elected. I'm getting tired of this win at any costs mentality.

Once again I wonder if it is worth being a member of either party.

------------

At some point I will post on some topic other than politics. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment